Sonntag, 4. März 2012

Karibu Nairobi, Kenya! Week 1

               Right now I am sitting on my bed that’s in the room I will be living in for the next five weeks. I am officially in Nairobi, Kenya, Africa. I still cannot believe that I am here, and waking up at 5:30 this morning made me so groggy and completely confused. It took me a minute or two to realize I wasn’t in Munich, which in hindsight is improvement from waking up in Germany and thinking I was in America. After not sleeping the day/night before (I can’t sleep on airplanes), the five hours of sleep I got just did not feel like enough. But that’s okay because I’m sure I’ll be getting a lot of sleep tonight.

                I left from Munich on the 27th at 7:10 am, had a connection in London, and then arrived in Nairobi at 10 pm. One of the ladies, Sarah Josiah, who works with HOPE Worldwide, the organization I’m working with, picked me up from the airport with her 9-year-old daughter Aisha. It was so weird because I had to withdraw Kenyan money due to the fact that all I had were Euros and American money. By the way, the currency here is Kenyan Shillings, and so different from Euros and Dollars. When the options were given to me on the ATM screen asking how much to withdraw, it ranged from 1,000 KS to 10,000 KS. My mouth literally dropped open because my mind immediately thinks in Dollars or Euros now. However, one US dollar is equal to 80 Kenyan Shillings. So once you do the math, it’s not really that big of a deal. It’s even kind of fun spending 100 KS and it only equals $1.20.

                Sarah, Aisha, and I drove to where I’m living for the next five weeks, which is with a lady who is a part of the church and works with HOPE. Her name is Fridah (it reminds me of zufrieden in German, and that makes me happy), she’s twice my age and extremely sweet and hospitable. Her room is just a little bigger than mine in Studentenstadt and she’s sharing it with me for over a month. If any of you know how small my room is in Stusta, than you absolutely understand that it’s not made for more than one person, and how much she is sacrificing by letting me stay there.   

By the way, the weather here is INCREDIBLE. I was and have so much been looking forward to the warmth after having been frozen to death for the last three months or so. I haven’t worn a jacket at all since I’ve been here J. And on my first day on our trip out to one of the slums HOPE works with, Mukuru, the weather still did not disappoint. I was sweating only after an hour of being there. And I think for maybe the first time in my life, I was not complaining about hot weather. Before going there, Fridah and I walked to a hotel where a volunteer group from Canada was staying at, and they were going to Mukuru with us to distribute everything their program collected for the kids. They work with program called “Sleeping Children around the World”, and I’m pretty sure it’s not in the United States. Here’s the link though, if you are interested in checking it out: http://www.scaw.org/about/index.html.
They were the nicest group of people, two older married couples, and a younger engaged couple in their late twenties. They were cracking up together the entire time and made everything extremely light-hearted and fun. Plus they are all very well-traveled and had some amazing stories to tell about their adventures. We drove from the hotel to the slums, and OH MY GOSH, the driving here is insane. First off, they drive on the opposite side of the road (when there is a road), and second off, there are no lines dividing the two sides of the road. And no one really follows the driving rules here, everyone drives all over the place (Mom, don’t freak out). And then by the time we got to Mukuru, the road started to get extremely bumpy and eroded, which reminded me a lot of the roads we drove through in Panama three years ago. On the way to the HOPE section in Mukuru, many shacks were set up with people selling the most random things. Things ranged from shoes, to food, to hair dressers, to furniture shops, to auto-mechanic repair, to even a mini store selling Apple products. It was so odd to see these places that are so normal in everyday life, minimalized into a shack, with no windows, and broken doors. It looked so out of place, and confusing because I couldn’t understand how these people could sell these products when they couldn’t afford a home, or a safe building to sell them in. 

                The slums of Mukuru are home to over 600,000 people. Most of these people have left their rural homes because of poverty and came to the city in the hope of finding work. Some are successful but the majority, being unskilled and uneducated, remain jobless. They live in very poor shacks made from cardboard or plastic material while those who are a little better off have houses made from corrugated iron sheets. The one-roomed houses are approximately ten by ten feet and have no sanitation or running water. There is no waste collection and most of the waste, household and other, goes directly into a nearby river. About 60% of Nairobi’s population lives in slum conditions. Slum dwellers pay rent for their shacks to landlords who ‘own’ the land. The amount varies from US $12-25 per month depending on the location of the house. There is no space for children to play. There are no recreation facilities for adults or children with the exception of bars, video shops, pool tables. Many turn to local brew, drugs and crime.

We spent the majority of the day giving over 700 kids living  in Mukuru pajamas and bed sets from the program in Canada. However, it took a very long time for a job that shouldn’t have taken the whole day. The problem is that some kids were not eligible to receive the pjs and bed sets because they were not as ‘needy’ as other kids in Mukuru. So those kids and their parents sat outside of the barred wires all day, looking in and watching, with some of the kids even crying. The sad part is that children had to be given their beds one by one, and marked with a black marker on their thumbs after getting them in order to make sure the kids who weren’t eligible for beds didn’t sneak in and steal a kid’s who was eligible, or the same kid trying to take a second bed that wasn’t theirs. Apparently things like that happen a lot there, and it’s usually because the parents of the kids are encouraging their kids to do it. I think that’s the saddest part of all.

My job for the day was to take pictures of the children, which I was extremely happy to do. I ended taking 345 pictures only having been there for a day. Almost every single picture is of the kids. I was told constantly to just go up to the kids and take pictures of them, but I felt like I was invading their personal spaces. But then I quickly found out why they said that—the kids LOVE taking pictures, cameras, and seeing themselves in the pictures. They were absolutely adorable, posing, laughing, showing peace signs, ‘modeling’ for me, and some were even trying to teach me some Swahili. There were two younger girls who at one point asked me to come sit with them under the white tent in some chairs. I was really confused and followed to be polite. They looked really shy at first, and then they started singing to me! It was so precious; they sang “Stand By Me” and sounded so good! And while they sang, other girls played with my hair (my favoriteeee) and asked how I got my hair so soft haha. The kids of Mukuru are really delightful, and I’m so excited to continue working with them for the next five weeks.

After Mukuru, Fridah and I went to the grocery store, and I was incredibly impressed by their selection. I guess my only previous view of Africa was like slums, tribes, safaris…very stereotypical stuff, and it’s weird to me that there’s a semblance of normalcy here, like in Germany or America. They do have little weird things though—the city bus is really sketchy, looks broken down, and has no indication that it is the city bus, but it only costs about 20 Ksh per ride. They also have these super sketchy vans called 'Matatu’s, which are vans that people literally just buy and ride all over the city, charging people however much they want and driving like crazies. My first experience with a Matatu was the door man (they have door mans because of how fast they go, you literally have to run into the van before they start back up again and shut the door in your face) sticking up his middle finger up at me, and the second time a lady fell out from the side and almost landed on her head on the ground. Needless to say, they’re not my most favorite contraption in the world.

                Wednesday was my first day at the HOPE Worldwide office and I finally was able to access the internet since I’ve been here! It was so nice because it always helps me in feeling some connection with both of my homes. I received some emails from Clemson, some in German, and a few from Africa as well. I’m literally at the point where I’m living three lives and spreading myself across three countries. I find it very exhausting at times. Even at Midweek (they’re called the Nairobi Christian Church) I was introduced as Jessica Kirkus from Munich, Germany, and then at the end of the message I was Jessica from South Carolina. Everyone was extremely confused, and had no idea whether I was German or American. Ha, welcome to my life. It was cute though because they kept asking me how to say things in German at first because they thought I was a real German. That made me really happy. Not because I’m trying to prove myself as a German, but just because it helps me feel a stronger connection with Germany as my current home. I won’t be able to call it home much longer and any chance to meet new people while I’m living there is just really exciting. Not to mention, I was really glad to not just be another American showing up that only knows the English language.

                I was supposed to have my orientation at the HOPE office on Wednesday, but I got an email from my research professor saying I needed to get my research paper in as soon as possible so that Clemson will release my scholarship money for second semester. So I literally spent most of the day writing my research paper and getting situated with little things like paperwork, meeting the staff, finishing my Paris blog, and uploading the photos I took from the first day in Mukuru. I even got to skype my mom twice, and David and Patrick once. And then I went with one of the lady’s there (about half of the employees at HOPE are a part of the church) to Midweek.

                I had no idea what to expect for church here. I didn’t know what language anything would be in, how everyone would respond to me being there, if they had anyone my age, how big they were, and I felt myself getting extremely shy like I first did when I got to Munich. The Nairobi church has around 1,500 people, which is the biggest I’ve ever been a part of. They were really sweet and welcoming, with half of the songs in English and the other ones in Swahili. Although I had no idea what the Swahili ones were saying, they were my favorites out of the songs played. When they switched to those songs, they didn’t just sing and sway back and forth, instead they shouted, they laughed, they danced, they played these huge bongo drums, and they just had soul. It sounded incredibly amazing and I caught myself smiling the entire time. The message was in English (thank God) as well. And at the end one couples announced their engagement, and another couple I had just met is getting married on Saturday and invited me to their wedding. Apparently in Africa, everyone is invited to the wedding, and I think that’s really cool, and encouraging. It will be the first wedding in the church that I’ve been to since being baptized J. I’m so, so excited.

Thursday and Friday consisted of much information concerning Orientation. There are many different sectors, jobs, and roles in HOPE, all of which are very interesting. The more I learn about what they do, the more I feel like I could want to be a part of something like this one day. They work together as a team to really build their community. They have this passion that I really haven’t seen in a work area before. True, my experiences are limited, but if there’s ever a chance in the future where I could be a part of something like this, I don’t know if I could say no to it. I found out today that I will be working with three different programs while I’m here. For my first week, starting on Monday, I will be working with ‘Orphans and Vulnerable Children’ (OVC), the second week I’m working with Shuuja, which is Swahili for ‘hero’, and then with the Blood department, which I’m not entirely sure entails, I just know there’s a huge blood shortage in Nairobi and Kenya. I will be sure to write out in detail what each program is about in my next blogs, but for now I’m going to end this one.

My first week has been really exciting, tiring, nerve-wracking, but super beneficial in helping me figure out what my passion is so that I can follow that passion down whatever road I want to take in life. I don’t ever want to pursue something I don’t truly have a passion for because I know myself well enough to be sure that I will never  be able to force myself to have enough patience for it. But so far, this feels like the right direction. I’m not sure whether I’ll have internet next week, but if I do, I’ll do my best to post a Week 2 blog then. The internet here is really slow, so I’m going to wait until I get back to Munich to post pictures. Until then I hope you all enjoy my ridiculously longs blogs!

Love, Jessica 

Links to photos on Facebook:

Sleeping Children Around the World:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151381371380235.829331.654390234&type=1

Random:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151381350015235.829321.654390234&type=3
 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen