Dienstag, 10. April 2012

Last Week in Kenya. Blood Safety Week 5.


               As sad as it is to say, I am officially writing the last blog of adventures from my time in Nairobi, Kenya. I cannot believe how fast it has gone by! I still feel like I have just gotten here, and the thought of going back to Munich feels incredibly strange. I kind of feel like I don’t belong anywhere right now and that I’m just floating from country to country. I am really excited to be returning to my German home though, and start the second semester in Munich with friends and the church. I can’t believe this semester is only about three months long. How is this one around two months shorter than winter semester?? 

                During my last week and few days I have been placed in working with Blood Safety, and continuing what I started before the Maasai Mara safari last week. Out of all the programs I’ve worked with, I actually feel like I’ve been of the most help to them. This being so mostly because of my familiarity with Facebook, online sources, and having the perspective and mindset of international college students. The blood program they have is actually very, very good, and I have learned so much from them. However, they are not self-supported yet because they are fully funded by CDC. In five years, those funds may run out, and they are trying to continue their program without having to depend on big organizations like CDC. So for all of you reading this, please go on to Facebook and like their page! We are still trying to set everything up properly, but your support would be greatly appreciated! It’s called “HOPE worldwide Kenya Blood Safety”. The name is kind of long, but it works.

                Sunday the 24th I was able to spend more time with campus after church. Because their campus group is very large, they have family groups (based on what university they attend) that they meet in every week and plan activities with. Because Fridah and Serah are close, I started spending a lot of time with Serah, and was added to her family group. One of the girls in Serah’s group, Angela, and her mom invited us over to their house and made us lunch for free. It was soo nice. Her mom made SO MUCH FOOD. I really wish I’d been that girl and thought to have taken a picture of it. We had a gigantic pan of rice with potatoes, greens, and pork. And it tasted incredible. 

                After we ate, Serah, Tony, and I went outside and started washing the dishes and taking pictures. It was actually a lot of fun, they are really wonderful people to be around. And when we were done washing, everyone left, and Tony, Serah, and I decided we wanted ice cream from town. So we walked around for a long time trying to find it. We found this fast food place that looked so much like McDonald’s and bought ice cream from there. Fridah is a health nut and every time I eat something unhealthy she says something, which I find endearing, and we have a lot of fun with it. She does the same with Serah, so Serah and I took photos to show Fridah exactly what she was missing out on. She just said we were ridiculous haha.

 Tony was in charge of washing :)


 I was rinse, Tony was wash, Serah was rinse again.

                Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I stayed at the office and helped with the Blood program, so a lot of time was spent on the computer, while also getting my classes for Munich and Clemson figured out. It’s really weird that I am signing up for my classes in the Fall before I sign up for my classes that I’m supposed to be starting in two weeks. I like the German school system a lot though because it’s relaxed. I have always felt that American universities cause an unnecessary amount of stress on students, even making study abroad an extremely difficult process to pursue. Being in Munich has given me such an appreciation for academics again because we are able to engage so much more efficiently with our work, due to the fact that we aren’t cramming ten million facts and biological systems into our heads every week. I actually have time to breathe and appreciate my college years. I can actually live outside of a classroom and studying in the library. And for years that are supposed to encourage personal growth, I feel like getting outside the classroom and learning is just as important (if not more) than being inside the classroom.

                This past week, starting on Tuesday or Wednesday night, was the beginning of ‘Mosqueeto’ week. By the way, Kenyans don’t say mosquito like we do. They stress the ‘qui’ part to sound like ‘quee’ and it cracks me up. The first time I heard Fridah say it, I thought she was joking. And then when I told her what we normally say, she asked why because it’s not spelled the way we pronounce it. She has a point. I don’t know why we don’t say it like Kenyans. Anyway, mosquitoes started invading Fridah and mine’s room and I could not sleep. The first night was awful, and I think I got around two hours of sleep. Every time I would start to dose off, I would hear the buzzing noise again, or freak out and think one was on my arm or face. I could not believe how persistent they were. AND THEY DIDN’T DIE. These mosquitoes are crazy. Nothing works when trying to kill them. 

                On Thursday I was allowed to go to Nakuru with Margaret to do Blood Safety training for a group of youth around my age and a little older. Nakuru is a very nice city, smaller and quieter than Nairobi, and just pleasant to be in. They are near Naivasha, which is the gigantic lake with flamingos, and a very popular tourist attraction. We arrived early around 10 am (even though we were two and a half hours late…oops), and went on with the training all day from there. I actually had so much fun doing the training with this group. I honestly wasn’t even that sure what we would be doing with them, or what the trip was for because I was told I was going at the last minute. There were about twelve or thirteen of them, and all were there for the purpose of learning about safely donating blood and how to get involved in running blood drives in their areas. 

                My favorite part of the entire workshop was that Margaret assigned us animal names at the beginning according to the first letter in our first name (mine was Jaguar) as way to help us remember each other’s names. I thought they would think it was too silly. However, they loved it and had so much fun with it. Any time Margaret forgot to use their animal name they would correct her and make her use it. And these were 23ish-year-olds. Most people around that age don’t have the liveliest of attitudes concerning workshops and ‘icebreakers’ (I know I don’t), so I found it quite refreshing to be with a group that just had fun together. Not to mention, Margaret is awesome and loved spending time with her. Not to mention she did an excellent job in handling the workshop and running everything. And every time we went to get food for dinner or lunch she would eat Mango milkshakes with me. Fridah wouldn’t do that…and Fridah if you read this I’m TOTALLY right. J Oh and by the way, I even got a wedding proposal from the guy named “Baboon”. He informed Margaret that he was coming back to Nairobi with us so that he and I could get married. It was awkwardly funny because he has a playful personality.

Just some of the pictures from the workshop:


 Margaret leading one of the sessions.

 Acting out various situations that can occur when talking to someone about donating blood.

New friend haha.

Keeps the blood fluid in motion. This is after the blood has been centrifuged.

 Fancy pipettes, and very good at measuring.

 Teamwork.

                Friday we traveled back to Nairobi, passing through the Rift Valley once more, and I took so many pictures. I really enjoyed our conversation of just getting to know each other, talk about where each person is from, how it’s different, each other’s families, and God. I’ve just loved working with a faith-based organization. It’s so encouraging to walk into work every day knowing that that part of my life is accepted and even a preferred conversation topic. I feel like I can be myself a lot easier, especially when everyone plays 21 questions with me about who I am, where I come from, and why I’m in Kenya. Because at the end of the day, everything I am, and came from, and the ultimate reason I had the opportunity to go to Kenya was because of God and deciding to have a relationship with Him. I don’t even know if I’d gone to Germany had I not made that decision because I would have been too afraid. 

Some of my favorite pictures from the journey back to Nairobi:






                With that being said, Wednesday, March 28, was my second spiritual birthday, or two years since I got baptized and decided to really start living my life as a Christian. It was such an exciting day for me to reflect on how much my life has changed since the day I got baptized and now. Within that time, God has changed, mended, broken off, and created so many relationships in my life (not to mention since September I’ve probably met over 1,000 new people. I’m not kidding), I’ve been able to travel and spend time with sister churches in Europe and Kenya, I’ve been learning a new language and even been able to communicate with Germans about who they are in their own language (which was my ultimate goal), brought me closer with my parents, given me a new appreciation for home when all I’d wanted to do was get outttt and start over, helped me appreciate school again, given me a direction with my life and career goals, and just helped me find freedom from everything I didn’t think I could start over from. I truly feel like at this point I finally understand what it means to have a peace that ‘passes all understanding’. It’s really hard at times to stay faithful, but it’s literally the most worthwhile thing I've ever done with my life. Hopefully that didn’t offend anyone or make the uncomfortable. Regardless, thank you for reading that if you did. It’s very important to me. 

                In my last few days left in Nairobi, I did some shopping, spending time with friends, and finishing up any last work for Blood Safety. The rainy season started about two days before my flight left, which was really interesting. The traffic is already pretty bad during certain times, but it becomes a little disastrous after the rain comes. And it was kind of funny to see how cold everyone thought the weather was, even though I’m pretty sure it only got down to the fifties (Fahrenheit). I loved it though, and eventually it prepared me to come back to the cold weather in Munich. It was sad to tell everyone goodbye, but exciting know that this end creates a new beginning, which will eventually lead to a new beginning at home. It’s crazy how little time it takes for things to change to the point where you have to readjust again. 

                I think this is all for now. By this time I am already back in Munich and I’ll be sure to update on life here soon! I hope you’re all doing well and have a great week!

Jessica

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen